Kitty Best Decision Ever

When you get to the point in life where you start living on your own it can be a bit scary but also super exciting. You can set your place up how you want it and have people over when you want and just enjoy your own space. You definitely learn a ton and grow as a person during that time of starting out on your own also. You learn that your decision making must be done very carefully though sometimes mistakes are made and you learn from them and move on.
One of the decisions that I have made when I lived alone was undoubtedly one of the best decisions I've ever made. That choice was adopting Kitty, the first cat I ever took care of on my own. I love reminiscing about the day I got him and introducing him to my place. I remember a friend telling me of a family that was looking to re-home their adult male cat who wasn't very old. I had been really wanting a kitten, thinking of them constantly, a little fluff ball snuggling close purring and munching from a food bowl. I went and met him and his former family before getting him and asked all the questions I could think to ask. Then I went home and gave the possibility some good thought.
I was pretty certain the super of the apartment complex didn't mind that I had a cat but I also knew that cats require medical care and necessities to survive and thrive, I thought could I afford all of that by myself? I felt pretty nervous and excited because I knew I had already made up my mind. On the day I was supposed to go pick him up my good friend who I met in college came to get me. We took a couple of college courses together and I would go to her house a lot and got to know her lovely family. They all made me feel so welcome all the time. Definitely one of the kindest young women I know. We drove to the home of the family who was giving me their cat and waited for them to get the cat all ready to go my excited anticipation making my heart feel as though it would break from my chest. When Kitty was ready I remember being handed him in a nice box for cats to travel in with holes on all sides, feeling the weight of the boxes contents brought a thrilling reality to me, like well Kitty, here goes our new beginning.
My friend drove Kitty and me home and helped me free him once he was safely inside and I assembled his plastic litter box which I remember being the easiest thing ever which was good because I never did it before. I remember him immediately hiding from probably being the most afraid he has ever been in his entire life. Not knowing what had just happened, new smells, new place, new people. I expected him to hide out for a couple of days before warming up to me. I thought he would come out and explore once I was asleep in search of food and when the curiosity got the best of him. I really didn't know what I was in for once alone with him so I just waited for him to come around.
I just went on with my day, my friend went on with hers I just kept an ear out for any sounds of a cat minus a collar with a bell on it which once one was put on him has been worn ever since so I can tell where he is when he is walking around. It didn't take very long, maybe a couple of hours if that, for him to finally venture out. I heard a tiny not exactly sure question like meow and I slowly went towards the sound, lowering myself to the floor in the hallway of the apartment so as not to seem big or intimidating. I began softly talking as the cat came close and I gently petted him. I still remember the feeling that I couldn't believe it was happening. I did not take long for Kitty and I to bond and for him to settle in. I remember breaking the news to my family I was nervous since both they and I know that he is an additional responsibility. Kitty filled the apartment and my life with sounds and snuggles and companionship. I'm super happy I made the decision to adopt Kitty. I don't know where he would be today otherwise and he filled my life with love and purpose and still does five years later. Now Kitty has gained another loving human friend, my boyfriend and another young cat friend/ lil bro who is about a year old now. It's always something to note and share when happy endings happen.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts